The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Charter is comprised of faculty, staff, and students who are invested in furthering The Christ College’s educational and cultural commitment to preparing students for delivery of healthcare in a diverse world. The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Charter strives to ensure that the College environment is diverse, inclusive, representative of our community, and provides equal opportunity for each student, faculty, and staff member to succeed.
(Left to Right: Jenny Lane, MSN, RN; Sheri Johnson-Strodes, MSN, RN, CHSE; Dana (Greg) Griffith, PH.D.; Cidnei Lewis; Lauren H. Theuerling, MSN, WHNP-BC, CCCE, RN)
The Mission, Vision, and Goals of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Charter are as follows:
Mission – It is the mission of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Charter to promote equity and inclusion by creating a culture committed to welcoming all individuals. We work to guarantee the core values of TCCNHS, caring, collaboration, integrity, and excellence, are applied to all, and that all members of the TCCNHS community have equal opportunity to achieve those core values. The Charter will promote the development and advancement of underrepresented students, faculty, and staff through courses, professional development, and trainings.
Vision – To recognize and make certain the intrinsic importance and worthiness of all students, faculty and staff, to prepare students for delivery of healthcare in a diverse world, and to advocate for and support a College environment which is diverse, inclusive, and representative of our community. To be a change agent.
- Guarantee diversity and inclusiveness continues to evolve (professional development) at TCCNHS.
- Ensure diversity is reflected in our student, staff, and faculty demographics.
- Inform and teach diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Develop a minority monetary award to be presented at the Celebration of Excellence (specific title of award to be determined).
- Develop a course specifically discussion of Multiculturalism and Cultural Intelligence.
- Meet monthly to plan, implement, and promote training and events that will bring awareness of diversity and inclusion to the classroom and workplace.
- Engage employees and students in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion conversations and trainings.
- Provide an equal access learning and workspace for everyone at TCCNHS.
- Address issues of discrimination, harassment, inequity, and exclusion on our campus, in our community, and our world.
DIVERSITY CHARTER INITIATIVES
In accordance with the Strategic Plan and Diversity Action Plan, the Christ College of Nursing and Health Sciences has engaged in the activities below. Official bylaws of the Diversity and Inclusion Charter were adopted in April 2018, most recent update, January 2021.
Student, Faculty, and Staff Initiatives
- $100,000 for Minority/Diversity Scholarships began in academic year 2017-18. The Diversity and Inclusion Charter worked with the College’s Financial Aid Office to formulate the criteria for the Minority Scholarships. Charter members reviewed applicants and selected the inaugural scholarship recipients.
- To provide up-to-date and comparative information, the College analyzed data from Noel Levitz student surveys and presents the results at Leadership and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Charter meetings.
- General education and Nursing courses contained instruction on community needs and problem-solving approaches to meet real-world challenges in diverse communities, supplemented by focused workshops and field trips on diversity topics such as world religions, health promotion and wellness. Student representatives from each student organization serve on the College’s Diversity and Inclusion Charter.
- Let’s Chat – Student engagement series where students meet with the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Director to discuss “campus climate, campus inclusion, topics of their choice relating to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Cultural Awareness is celebrated in accordance with designated national multicultural celebrations such as National Asian Pacific Month, National Black History Month, National Hispanic Month, LGTBQ – Gay Pride Month, National Women in History, Month, etc.
- March 2018 - Creating a Culture of Inclusion” professional development workshop.
- July 2018 – Informed Discussions
- September 2018 – Implicit/Explicit Biases – What does it mean?
- October 16, 2018 - Part 1 of Microaggressions: Creating Inclusivity in the Classroom and Workplace.
- February 2019 - How to Ensure Inclusion in the classroom.
- April 30, 2019 – Part 2 – Microaggressions: Creating Inclusivity in the Classroom and Workplace.
- January 25, 2021 through May 27, 2021 – “7Cs to Cultural and Emotional Intelligence™”
- Students, faculty, and staff have participated in the School Supply Drive, Winter Coat Drive, and Adopt-a-Family Gift Drive conducted in collaboration with the Mt. Auburn Chamber of Commerce and Taft Elementary.
- To fulfill the mission of the College, Service Learning in the Community, a required series of courses in the nursing curriculum, placed students in various service sites that serve diverse audiences in the Cincinnati area for 30 hours total over their educational experience.
Collaboration with The Christ Hospital Health Network
The Diversity Mentorship Program has continued as a partnership with The Christ Hospital’s working nurse professionals to promote the hiring of diverse nursing graduates into The Christ Hospital Health Network.